Peratech is a pressure-sensing technology solutions company that provides next-generation touch and haptics solutions to some of the most exciting and innovative companies in the gaming, automotive, industrial, and consumer electronics markets.
Our force-sensing technology sits at the crossroads of physics and chemistry, requiring a balance of clever thinking and problem-solving in materials science, mechanical and electronics engineering to take full advantage of its properties.
We are a small team of passionate technologists, engineers, scientists, and problem solvers looking for the best teammates to help us on our journey to success. We are an equal opportunity employer that believes the best people come from all walks of life worldwide.
Our Internship Scheme
Who are we looking for? Enthusiastic and highly motivated individuals to join us for either Summer or Year-Long internships. Ideally, you will have a background in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or Robotics. However, for the computational placement, we encourage you to apply if you are a student of Computer Science.
Summer Internships will run over 6 – 10 weeks, between June and September 2022. These are offered to students currently studying for an undergraduate degree. Preference is given to students currently in their second year and above at the time of application.
Year-long Internships will run over 8 – 12 months. These would suit students embarking on a sandwich-year placement over 2022/2023 or a recent graduate.
Our interns work alongside Peratech's research team on challenging and business-critical projects. Being part of the exciting, fast-paced environment we work in allows you to experience everything a dynamic company has to offer. We place a high value on our interns' work, and our internship opportunities ensure you gain a well-rounded experience that will position you for future success. Previous intern projects have included:
The development and automation of analysis routines for common sensing system tests, using MATLAB and Python scripting.
Building a finite element analysis (FEA) model of our sensors to predict sensor performance impact from changing sensing materials and design aspects.
Designing, building and implementing test procedures for a matrix sensing array, using Labview to control a robotic plotter, and using the results to extract meaningful performance metrics from Peratech's sensing technology.
The formulation and characterisation of novel sensing materials for future generation sensing technologies.
Support in developing AI systems that help design novel sensing technology using Python and Keras/Tensorflow.
Key Attributes and Responsibilities:
- Is familiar with Python programming language or similar (e.g., MATLAB, Octave, R).
- Can work well in a team, is comfortable to ask questions when unsure and is not afraid to be thrown in the deep end (with lots of support).
- Will help to design cutting-edge technology, extending AI and/or simulation capabilities relating to Peratech’s sensors.
- Will help to analyse, debug, speed up, document, and refactor code.
- Will use Python graphing libraries (e.g., Matplotlib, Seaborn) to visualise AI and/or simulation results.
- May help design and train custom neural network models.
- Having some familiarity with AI Python libraries (e.g., Keras, Tensorflow) is a bonus, but by no means essential.
- The successful applicant would work remotely. Access to hardware can be provided via remote login. An opportunity to visit Peratech’s R&D facility located in NETPark, Sedgefield, County Durham could also be provided.
How to apply
To apply, please submit a CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com
Your cover letter should clearly state which internship you are applying for (sensor characterisation, materials development or computational) and whether you are applying for the summer or year-long internships. Please also state the time at which you would be available to start the internship. Additionally, your cover letter should explain the skills and experience you have which make you suited to the role.
The deadline for summer internships is 31st January 2022.
The deadline for year-long internships is 31st March 2022 (applications can be considered earlier, for start dates prior to this deadline).
For more information on our internship scheme, and testimonials from our previous interns, please visit: