Working with the R&D team, the materials development scientist will be actively involved in the development of the next generation of force sensing materials. They will be involved throughout the research development lifecycle from early-stage research to pilot development and technology transfer to manufacturing. The individual will work closely with the rest of the materials development team but will be also expected to independently plan, conduct, and analyse experimental work. The project will incorporate early-stage research experiments as well as transfer to production-scale manufacture. A successful project will see the development of a unique, patent-protected material system incorporated into the mass production of Peratech’s sensing solutions and further into customer products. Beyond materials development, the scientist will be also encouraged to take a holistic approach to sensor design and engage with the broader R&D team on material properties and requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works safely and independently in a chemical lab environment.
- Keeps precise and accurate records of their work, articulates results and presents findings to various audiences in the company clearly and efficiently.
- Plans, conducts, and interprets experimental work.
- Combines theoretical knowledge and experimental findings to rationalise experimental design and development directions.
- Collaborates closely with Peratech’s team of scientists and engineers to accelerate new materials development.
- Captures innovation and generates patents and/or other IP forms that protect his/her inventions and enhance the value of our company.
- Develops optimised processes required to make new materials and influences the selection of equipment and tools required for the successful transfer to mass production.
- Any other duties as required by the direct manager and the executive team.
Essential Education, Experience, and Skills
- Experience successfully planning, conducting, and analysing scientific experiments.
- Ability to carry out independent project work
- A background in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science or engineering to degree level or equivalent and practical experience of lab work
- Proficiency with standard materials characterisation techniques.
Desirable Education, Experience, and Skills
- 3+ years’ experience in a research environment (commercial preferred, but will consider a closely related postdoc experience)
- Knowledge of polymer chemistry and properties and an understanding of composite materials is strongly desired, including electrical and mechanical properties.
- Experience of developing printable materials and familiarity with the characterisation techniques used to evaluate printed electronics would be advantageous.
- Full-time, permanent employment based at Peratech R&D facility in NETPark, Sedgefield, UK.
- Practical laboratory work is required.
- Some national and international travel may be required, but we are open to discussing options if a candidate is unable to travel
- The successful candidate will be required to provide proof they have the right to work in the UK
£32,000 to £38,000 pa
Peratech is a pressure-sensing technology solutions company that provides next-generation touch and haptics solutions to some of the most exciting and innovative companies in automotive, industrial, musical instrument, electronic appliance, and consumer electronics markets.
Our force sensing technology sits at the crossroads of physics and chemistry, requiring a balance of clever thinking and problem-solving in materials science, mechanical and electronics engineering to take full advantage of its properties.
We are a small team of passionate technologists, engineers, scientists, and problem solvers looking for the best fellow teammates to help make our company a great success. We are an equal opportunity employer that believes the best people come from all walks of life all over the world.
Key Attributes We’re Looking For
- Communicates with candor and poise
- Has a passion for innovating, problem-solving and continuously improving
- Is a competent contributor and/or facilitator in brainstorming and synthesizing solutions with various team make-ups, spanning the globe
- Learns from the past quickly, manage mistakes, recovers fast, and helps others do the same
- Manages assumptions about ideas, people, and what we think we know and don't know
- Is a motivator and problem solver within functional teams
- Demonstrates respect for everyone and values others for who they are and what they can contribute